Information About Study in Canadian top Ranked University "Simon Fraser University"

Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
Degrees available:

  1. MSc
  2. PhD
If you have admission-related questions, please email
Mail your sealed documents to:
Graduate Admissions
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
Simon Fraser University
Room SSC K 10545
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
Application Deadline: February 1 for Fall semester start.
Please consult the program's website for any deadline changes and further details.


·         SFU Calendar: Fees for graduate research programs (approximately $4,900 CDN per year)
·         See also additional ancillary fees, student activity fee, graduate benefit health plan
Note: International students in this department pay the same graduate fees as domestic students.

Tuition and Fees

In most programs at Simon Fraser University, international students pay the same fees as domestic students for graduate programs (Masters, Doctoral, Graduate Diploma). 
Most research programs cost $1,694.90 per term or $5,084.70 per year, as of Fall 2013.

Non-degree, exchange and qualifying students, and students who take courses outside of their program requirements will pay the rate per credit hour for the courses in which they enroll (i.e. Undergraduate $170.50 for domestic, and $595.40 for international students; GRAD $255.80 or specialty fee if applicable) in addition to their regular graduate tuition, and mandatory fees payable. For courses in regular graduate programs, the graduate basic per-credit fee will apply.
The following links will take you directly to the list of Graduate Fees 2013–2014 in the SFU Calendar.
·         Tuition and Fees
·         Premium Fee Programs
·         Master’s Program
·         Doctoral Program
·         Co-operative Education
·         Per Unit Fee Programs
·         Extension and Readmission
·         Fees — Ancillary
·         Additional Fee Information
·         Courses at Another Institution
·         Basic Medical Insurance
·         Graduate Benefit Plan
·         Refunds

International Student Tuition Fee Comparison Chart

Annual Tuition
McGill University (Montreal)
UC Berkeley (USA)
Cambridge (UK)
Melbourne (Australia) 
Fees above are in Canadian dollars. This information has been provided as a guide and is subject to change. Tuition rates can differ between countries, institutions and programs, or due to bilateral agreements.
These figures are based on full-time study in the least-expensive research program and fees for professional and other programs can be significantly higher. Tuition fee information and currency conversion rates are from 2012, and have been rounded.

Application Process

This online application system is for use by applicants applying to Graduate Diplomas, Master's and Doctoral programs.
·         Applicants who wish to take one or more courses as non-degree students should contact the department and graduate program directly.
·         Students who wish to take courses through the Western Deans Agreementshould complete the WDA form (available from their home university) and submit it first to their home university.
(High School students and Post-Secondary Transfer Students applying for Bachelor's degrees should go to Apply BC.

1. Using the online application system

·         In order to use the online application system, you will need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $90 CAN (students with Canadian transcripts) or $125 CAN (students with international transcripts) by credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
·         An application that is not submitted within 28 days or by the application deadline — whichever comes first — will be cancelled.
·         The full application fee is due in 7 days after your application is submitted and your application will not be considered until the full payment has been received.  To make an online payment, log onto your account and click on Self Service > Campus Finances > Make a Payment.  If you are unable to pay the application fee by credit card, see How to Pay Your Fees for alternative payment methods.
o    If you would like to pay in person, go to Student Services at the Burnaby campus. Please specify that your payment is for your application fee (otherwise it may end up in your student account).
·         If you are applying as a non-degree or exchange student, or would like toreinstate your previous program of study, please contact the department to which you intend to apply.

2. Plan and prepare

·         Check the university admission requirements
·         Check the website of the department of your choice of study for theapplication deadline, supporting documents and any requirements that must be fulfilled prior to submitting an application.

o    Transcripts must be mailed to your destination department directly.
o    Some departments may accept copies of transcripts with your application, and will require the official transcript to be received after admission. Please consult departmental staff.
o    At this time, we are unable to accept EDI transcripts from BC colleges.
·         Supporting documents to support admission applications will be retained for three terms following the term to which application is made.
o    If you are admitted, application forms and supporting documents are retained for the duration of your graduate program.
o    If you are not admitted, your application forms, transcripts and other materials related to applications will be retained for three terms.
o    Irreplaceable documents will be returned to you if requested at the time of application.

§  The office which holds the irreplaceable material will return the material as soon as possible, upon request, and no later than six months after your degree completion or last registration.
o    All other documents become the property of the University.
·         If you are applying as an international student, check the admission guide for international applicants

3. What you will need to apply online

·         Credit card (MasterCard or Visa) to pay the application fee
·         Test scores (if required by department)
·         List of 3 referees who can comment on your academic and/or professional skills and prior experience
o    Please enter your referees' email addresses very carefully. They will receive an email message with a link to upload their confidential reference letters for you. If their email address is incorrect, they will not receive the request.

4. If you encounter problems, check your computer settings

Windows Users:
·         Internet Explorer with the following browser settings:
Turn off Pop-up Blocker
Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Pop-up Blocker -> Turn off Pop-up Blocker.
·         Mozilla Firefox with the default browser settings.
Mac Users:
·         Safari with the following browser settings:

Set browser cookies to "Always"

Safari menu -> Preferences -> Security -> Accept Cookies -> Always

Turn off Pop-up Blocker
Safari menu -> unselect Block Pop-up Windows

5. Once you've applied: Status of your application

·         To check the status of your application, login at with your User ID and password and select 'View Application Status' from the Application Services page. Through the Application Services page, you can also update your personal information and review the status of documents that are required for evaluation of your application (eg. test scores, transcripts, references, etc.). The information displayed here is updated as items are received.
·         After you have submitted your application, please review your checklist for your document due dates.
·         You will also be notified in writing by the Registrar of Graduate Studies if you have been accepted into a program and the conditions of your acceptance.
·         Please accept or decline the offer as soon as possible by informing us in the online application system and/or contacting the department in person.
·         Note: Official letters of acceptance are only valid for the academic year indicated in the letter. If you are unable to accept in the term offered, the department reserves the right to reconsider your acceptance.

Study and Work Permits

·         Study Permits 
·         Bringing Your Family 
·         Staying in Canada

Applying for a Study Permit Outside of Canada

Before you can study in Canada, you must obtain a study permit by applying to your closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate. You should not leave home until you receive a "letter of introduction" from the Embassy or Consulate stating that your Study Permit has been approved.
Application Process
·         Check the average processing times and apply early. The entire process can take up to six months and some Canadian visa offices may have deadlines for processing applications. 
·         Determine how and where you will apply. See the Citzenship and Immigration Canada website for information about the process. You should also consult the Canadian visa office responsible for your region for detailed instructions on required documents and current processing times.
·         Review SFU's International Student Handbook. If you have any questions, our International Student Advisors would be pleased to assist you.
·         US Citizens: If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the USA, you have the option of applying online or submitting your application upon your arrival at a Canadian Port-of-Entry (e.g., your airport of arrival or land crossing into Canada).
Documents Required from SFU
·         You will receive an Offer of Admission and Funding letter from the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows. This will be sent electronically, followed up with a hard copy by mail. Both are considered official and can be used to apply for your study permit. The second page of the Offer of Admission and Funding letter is a study permit information form, which will indicate the maximum length of your program, detail any funding you have been offered, and provide the estimated tuition and fees for your first year. If your program has a mandatory internship or co-operative education (co-op) component, this will also be indicated on the Study Permit information form and can be used to request a Co-Op/Internship Work Permit, in addition to a Study Permit. Co-op/Internship work permits are fee-exempt.
Working On & Off Campus During Your Studies
·         Full-time graduate students at SFU with valid study permits may accept part-time employment on any of our three campuses without obtaining a work permit. International students may also be eligible for off-campus and co-op work permits.
·         For more information on work permits, please see the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website. Detailed handouts are also available on the SFU International Services for Students website.




The following information, regarding minimum equivalent qualifications and academic standing, and required credential, is intended as a guideline only and is to be used as a reference for admission purposes only

Admission to Master's Program

Minimum Equivalent Qualifications
For admission to a master’s program, the qualifications listed are normally recognized as equivalent to a Simon Fraser University 4-year bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall grade of B
Minimum Overall Academic Standing
All degrees must be awarded with an overall First Class or First Division standing
Required Credential or Degree
Completion of both Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree in all disciplines except students graduated with a B Pharm., MBBS, B Tech, B Eng. or B Arch
Applicants must arrange for the submission of detailed mark sheets and degree certificates with certified English (literal) translations.
Official proof of degree conferred is required in the form of a graduation diploma AND degree certificate with English translations.
To be official, original language documents and English translations must arrive together in official envelopes which have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution.

Share on Google Plus

About muhammad qamar Shafiq

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.